Date:      Sun, 12 Aug 2001 20:52:24 -0400
From:      Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@acadia.ne.mediaone.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD

On 08/12/01 11:36 AM, Greg McPherran sat at the `puter and typed:

>    This is also to you Dave (Leimbach),
>
>    I think it would increase sales in the store. I noticed that when
>    browsing the alternative OS section, the box and mascot did not have
>    the effect on me that perhaps you want it to have. Others must also
>    have the same reaction. I praise your team for the great work you do
>    delivering an excellent OS package. I was under the impression that
>    FreeBSD also encouraged people to purchase the boxed set to help
>    support your team.

Not likely.  If they don't care enough to find out what a mascot is
supposed to represent, they likely won't care to read the frickin docs
enough to get it installed.

>    1.If you do encourage people to purchase the boxed set then I think my
>    idea will significantly increase sales just from a marketing point of
>    view.

Wait a minute.  Are you sure you're not in marketing?!  I'm reminded
of the Dilbert episode where he got a job at a better company that had
no marketing dept.  Once he mentioned it to the bosses, the company
formed a marketing department and promptly went under.

>    2. If potential FreeBSD advocates like me don't like it - why wouldn't
>    you consider changing it just out of consideration for others?

My guess is that the primary focus was a dependable, reliable and rock
solid OS, not a touchy feely PC marketing scam - sounds familiar
though :).

>    Dave, thanks for the fun response - certainly the people involved in
>    FreeBSD are a great group. Now about that darn little devil :-)

It's NOT a devil!  It's a Daemon! Read the story!
http://www.freebsd.org/copyright/daemon.html

>    ......   And as you seem to have suspected, I am a Christian (Roman
>    Catholic). We Catholics are a bit more easy going when it comes to the
>    well-intentioned use of symbols. But it's still a turn-off :-) What is

I'm Roman Catholic too.  I don't see a problem with it.  I'm gonna
stop there on that one for fear of turning this into a holy war.

>    it with you open/free software people - Richard Stallman has halos, a
>    church of Emacs, saint Ignucious, a shell called Bourne Again, and you
>    have a devil for a mascot. Then you tell me religion should be kept
>    separate from a OS? :-) I agree, or at least it should not poke fun or
>    mock beliefs. I have had several converstaions with Richard also :-)
>    That's all I'm saying - let's get the religious symbolism out of the
>    OSes. Alas,

Why.  I don't think this is poking fun at all.  I think it speaks well
that these people at least have spirituality on their minds.  Besides,
isn't religion the root of all symbolism?

>     I see I am going to have to take either Linux of FreeBSD
>    and make my own distro. That is one great thing about free software -
>    you can do that. Now, which should I use FreeBSD or Linux? I lean
>    towards FreeBSD but Linux seems to have more drivers. For example, I
>    have an HP 8230e external USB CD-Writer. Are there drivers for this
>    for FreeBSD? Do you know of any external USB CD-Writers that will work
>    with FreeBSD?

So you want the FreeBSD group to write drivers for your distro after
dissing their mascot?  :)

And I have to agree with the other posters that defended the FreeBSD
site.  I have found it easier to find what I need than any other OS
centric site around Especially M$!  Talk about Bloatware!  Just try
finding a driver for your CDR there!

Try finding details, or a patch for that matter, on the security bug
in LookOut 5.x that allows man in the middle attacks when the client
sets CRL verification in internet options, and there is a cert
name/domain mismatch.  I found and reported that bug a year ago.  Only
MS2k isn't susceptible.  But of course Code Red has that covered.
Thank you bill!

I'd rather use something that works.

Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc       leblanc@acadia.ne.mediaone.net
http://acadia.ne.mediaone.net                 ԿԬ

The Illiterati Programus Canto 1:
  A program is a lot like a nose:
  Sometimes it runs, and sometimes it blows.