Date:      Fri, 14 Sep 2001 19:46:30 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        rnordier@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Does boot1 still have a > 1023 cyl limit?

On Fri, Sep 14, 2001 at 09:50:23AM -0700, Mike Smith wrote:
> > A quote from the end of the boot_i386.8 manual page..
> >
> >   IMPORTANT NOTE: Because of limitations imposed by the conventional disk
> >   interface provided by the BIOS, all boot-related files and structures
> >   (including the kernel) that need to be accessed during the boot phase
> >   must reside on the disk at or below cylinder 1023 (as the BIOS under-
> >   stands the geometry).  When a ``Disk error 0x1'' is reported by the sec-
> >   ond-stage bootstrap, it generally means that this requirement has not
> >   been adhered to.
> >
> > Just today I had a friend ask me if this is still true; I checked CVS
> > history and found out that this comment was added by rnordier more than
> > two years ago.  Is this still true?
>
> No; it's quite possible now to boot from beyond the 1024 cylinder mark,
> however boot0 does not install in 'packet' mode by default, which means
> that you need to manually install/configure it before rebooting after
> system installation.
>
> So we don't cleanly install for > 1024 cylinders, but it works with a
> little tweaking.

So.. if I read you right, booting correctly for > 1024 cylinders works
if boot0 knows about it.  Isn't boot0 the one in the MBR, not in the fbsd
slice?  Does this mean that boot1 and boot2 should work just fine if they
are loaded by another kind of MBR loader (say, Grub), and they find out
that they are placed beyond the 1023th cylinder?

G'luck,
Peter

--
Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.