Date:      Wed, 30 Apr 1997 13:52:17 +1000
From:      Joel Sutton <sutton@aardvark.apana.org.au>
To:        Bob <bob@aol.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The ports collection...

> So, given that yet another 'port' is missing the distrubution file,
> why have the port retrained on the system?  I'm running less that 50%
> success with the ports (because I assume, when a new version comes out
> the old version gets tossed in the garbage, but the port is kept
> around so people can download it and get pissed..)

You're on the right track. First download the file from the ports
collection. Expand it and type "make fetch". The port will then fetch
the source files for you. Then "make install" will extract, build,
etc...

Read Section 4 of the Handbook. It explains all this much better than
I can.

Cheers, Joel...