Date:      Wed, 12 Jul 1995 01:33:59 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Thomas Graichen <graichen@sirius.physik.fu-berlin.de>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bugs & problems in 2.0.5

> * file don't know much about FreeBSD - see the next lines
>
> graichen@mordillo:~> bc
> bc 1.02 (Mar 3, 92) Copyright (C) 1991, 1992 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
> This is free software with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
> For details type `warranty'.
> ^\Quit (core dumped)
> graichen@mordillo:~> file bc.core
> bc.core: data
> graichen@mordillo:~> cat test.c
> void main(void){}
> graichen@mordillo:~> gcc -c test.c
> graichen@mordillo:~> file test.o
> test.o: NetBSD/i386 object file not stripped

I tried this and I have to agree that this looks rather embarassing,
espcially having our .o's identified as "NetBSD/i386 object files"; it
makes it look to the casual user like we're running their stuff in
some sort of emulation mode or something :-)

It would also be nice to have identification of core files.  If you
look at the NetBSD/i386 core file entry, it even appears to ferret the
name of the executable out of the core file and display it.  Nice!

I fooled around with od and /etc/magic a little bit but was unable to
get core recognition to work in the short 2 minutes I had to devote to
the problem.. :-)

Anyone out there game for a little puzzle?  The mission:  To see how
many types of files you can get recognised by /etc/magic! :-)

					Jordan