Date:      Thu, 1 Nov 2001 08:48:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Schroebel <mschroebel@yahoo.com>
To:        andreas <andreas@cp.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make buildworld fail @/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl

No, no-one answered.  There was a thread about it
which said it was due to a 1 billion second bug in
cvsup, and you needed to get cvsup-16.e.tgz, and
install it, rm -rf /usr/src rm -rf /usr/obj, and cvsup
again.  But that didn't work for me.  Someone also
suggested to again delete everything, and re-cvsup
again -- which makes no sense to me why that might
work -- but I tried it, and it too failed.  What did
work was to first upgrade to FreeBSD 4.2 from cdrom
using cvs (and not cvsup and following the
instructions in the README on the second cd).  Once
4.2 was on, I then cvsup'd to 4.4.  I tried that
because I had no trouble upgrading from FreeBSD 4.2 to
4.4, but all the 4.0 boxes failed with the BrandELF
problem.  That's one solution anyway.