Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 96 16:27:35 MET
From:      Greg Lehey <lehey.pad@sni.de>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org (Hackers; FreeBSD)
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org (FreeBSD Documenters), mollers.pad@sni.de
Subject:   Confused!!!! (fwd)

Forwarded message:

> From: Frank J Estremera <festremera@shell.monmouth.com>
>
> I am so confused as to how to boot FreeBSD from a boot manager, while on a
> second drive. I have an internal IDE drive running Windows95. I also have a
> secondary SCSI drive (device 0), totally devoted to FreeBSD. I do have
> FreeBSD loaded on it, but when I installed FreeBSD, and selected BootEasy
> as the boot manager, The operating system could not be found when booting to
> Windows95 (primary drive). I deinstalled BootEasy and installed System
> Commander as my boot manager. It recognized the SCSI drive as having FreeBSD
> loaded on it, but when selected, System Commander tells me that the boot block
> is missing on this device. The only way that I can boot FreeBSD is to insert
> the install diskette in the A drive, boot from it, and when the BOOT prompt
> appears, pointing it to hd(1,a)/kernel (I think). Just for laughs I did a
> disklabel -B sd0 to maybe try to force a boot block on the SCSI device, but
> to no avail (unless I am totally out in left field, which is likely). What
> am I missing??? Why is my operating system under Windows95 being clobbered??
> (I then have to do an fdisk from diskette to activate my C: partition again).
> Please shine a flashlight on my face and enlighten me!

Could it be that the lack of replies to this message is the result of
everybody else being confused as well?  I currently can't get near a
running FreeBSD system, and I honestly don't know a good answer, but I
get the feeling that we have a bug which manifests itself when using
booteasy when FreeBSD is not on the first drive.  I've had another
report of this kind of problem here at SNI, and in this case I'm
pretty sure it wasn't user error.  Any comments from others?

Greg