Date:      Sat, 31 Jul 2004 20:07:37 -0400
From:      "JJB" <Barbish3@adelphia.net>
To:        "Giorgos Keramidas" <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Firewall Rule Set not allowing access to DNS servers?

Giorgos

Thank you for your opinion about my rewrite of the handbook firewall
section. It has been turned over to the FreeBSD doc group and they
are sanitizing the English and getting it prepared for update to the
handbook.

To address your opinion that the rule set may be to limiting for a
home user is covered by the following section from the document.

*
Firewall Rule Set Types

Constructing a software application firewall rule set may seem to be
trivial, but most people get it wrong. The most common mistake is to
create an exclusive firewall rather than an inclusive firewall.

An exclusive firewall allows all services through except for those
matching a set of rules that block certain services.

An inclusive firewall does the reverse.

It only allows services matching the rules through and blocks
everything else. This way you can control what services can
originate behind the firewall destined for the public internet and
also control which services originating from the public internet may
access your network. Inclusive firewalls are far more secure than
exclusive firewalls.

*

Now many home LAN environments have ms/windows boxes and that system
is the target of all the adware and spyware programs. These
unauthorized programs all most always use non-standard ports to
phone home and report on your activity. The only way to defend
against the 'report home action' is to block all outbound ports
except for those explicitly allowed by firewall rules.

Sure the ipfw firewall rule set you posted will work, but it's so
less secure then the ones contained in the document I wrote. Why
have a poorly defined firewall rule set that leaves a wide open
doorway to the public internet when just a few more rules will
result in the maximum protection possible. My document is written to
give the reader the maximum protection possible by just using the
included samples. This removes the trial and error testing the user
have to go through now using the current handbook as a guide.

New subject.
I see from your post, what looks like you have an automated way to
reformat MS/outlook top post to Unix Bottom post format.

I sure would like to know how you are doing this. I have been on
this list for 4 years and I have never seen this before. Would you
please share with me and the other readers how you do this.

Thanks
Joe