Date:      Fri, 17 Jun 2022 08:05:53 +0200
From:      Eivind Nicolay Evensen <eivinde@terraplane.org>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Fw: Unclean file systems on every boot

Den Thu, 16 Jun 2022 22:24:19 +0200
skrev Christoph Moench-Tegeder <cmt@burggraben.net>:

Thanks for your ideas.

> ## Eivind Nicolay Evensen (eivinde@terraplane.org):
> > <118>/dev/ufs/nyvar-fs: NO WRITE ACCESS
>
> Why "NO WRITE ACCESS"?

I have no idea. I'd like to know as well.

> > <118>$PRID:$PHOST> fsck -Cy
>
> Do not skip checks in this situation.

I didn't the first dozens of times. Since I want to use this
machine rather than waste life, I do now. But there was no
difference. And I also have forced checking all file systems
multiple times, with no change.

> Consider the possibility that other parts might have gone bad:
> cabling, RAM, CPU... maybe even heat problems?

I hardly think so because i know exactly what bad cables look
like on this machine. That's easily spotted by errors in dmesg
during use. There is no such now. And since there are no unexpexted
changes when diffing with backups I do not believe any of the others.

However, since sending my initial mail(s), I have realised there's
a difference in my usage pattern. I've used shutdown -hp quite a bit
lately, while I usually have initiated an acpi powerdown through the
power button before. I just tested it this morning. And indeed, no
file system problems when I shut the machine down using the power
button for an acpi shutdown. Use shutdown -hp and the problem is
there.

--
Eivind Nicolay Evensen