Date:      Tue, 5 Mar 2002 22:59:41 +1100
From:      Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports/35519: kdepim port doesn't know that malloc.h is now broken

On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 01:27:26PM +0200, Nevermind wrote:
> Hello, Thierry Thomas!
>
> On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 11:06:15PM +0100, you wrote:
>
> > >  Great, thanks muchly.  I'll try installing again later tonight.  Someone
> > >  needs to teach people to stop including malloc.h.
> >
> > What about something like:
> >
> >      find ${WRKSRC} -type f | xargs ${PERL} -pi -e \
> >           "s@#include.*<malloc.h>@#include <stdlib.h>@"
> >
> > in bsd.port.mk?
> I suppose it is good idea, but we should make this option on by default
> but with ability to off it.

Honestly, if software needs malloc() then the software should include
the right files. Patching it is not a good solution, patching it
by default because people are not doing it right is plain wrong.
Just my opinion.

What I was actually more wondering about was who decides that such
a file is suddenly depricated? Was that the FreeBSD community? Or
the makers of gcc? Posix complience? who? Who? WHO?

Edwin, just wondering :-)

--
Edwin Groothuis   |              Personal website: http://www.MavEtJu.org
edwin@mavetju.org |           Interested in MUDs? Visit Fatal Dimensions: