Date:      Sun, 14 Jan 1996 20:48:12 -0300
From:      Universidade de Sao Paulo Fisica Sao Carlos <uspfsc@eu.ansp.br>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Help with faxmodens?

Hi everybody,

	I'm trying to install hylafax in my Free 2.1.0-R box for some time
without success. In fact I've tried also mgetty+sendfax unsuccessfully. I tried it with two modens: USR sportster 14400 and Turbo Modem ( a Exar based modem).

	Hylafax doesn't seem to like the sportster at all (It doesn't recognize it with faxaddmodem). I've tried the 3 usr-* configuration provided without success. It is impossible to use mgetty
because the sportster is class 1.

	The turbomodem works nicely with hylafax (exar configuration)
up to the speed of 9600. If the transmitter is at 14400, it doesn't work. I believe this has got to do with the DTE-DCE speed at 19200 but , if I change this to 38400, nothing works. Worse than that, sendfax (hylafax) doesn't
work until I change the configuration to hardware flow control. Here however,
it stops receiving fax correctly. Therefore I don't have a config for
both receiving and sending faxes.

	mgetty+sendfax seems to work nicely with the exar modem but it receives a file which I can't parse. The g3topbm utility complains a lot about invalid codes even wiht the "reversebits" option.

My questions are:

1) Is there a place (newsgroup, mailing list) where I could ask for help?
2) Is there anybody using any of these software successfully with 2.1.0-R?
If yes, what is the modem?
3) Which modem(inexpensive, please) do you advice?

Thanks for any help

Toto
uspfsc@eu.ansp.br