Date:      Thu, 25 Oct 2001 04:13:09 -0600
From:      "Joesh Juphland" <part_lion@hotmail.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   mountd will not start at boot.  Or function later...

I cannot mount any of the NFS shares that I share from my server due to a
problem with mountd and RPC.

rc.conf looks like this:

network_interfaces="lo0"
removable_interfaces="wi0"
nfs_server_enable="YES"
nfs_server_flags="-t -u -n 4"

/etc/exports looks like this:

/mp3     myclient

I have the /etc/hosts files populated on both my server (this machine) and
the client (myclient)

-----

When I boot, mountd bombs out - log files show:

mountd[119]: can't register mount

I start mountd manually - `mountd -r` and attempt to mount my exported FS:

mount_nfs localhost:/mp3 /tmp/mnt

and the error is:

localhost:/mp3: nfsd: RPCPROG_NFS: RPC: Program not registered

-----

I have tried two things to fix this...first, I tried removing the -u from
the NFS line in rc.conf.  No effect.  Then I tried -HUPping portmap _after_
manually starting mountd.  Also did not help.

Any help is appreciated.

--joesh

P.S. I have ipfw built into the kernel, with the 'block all' setting, but in
/usr/local/etc/rc.d I have a script that runs   ipfw add 65500 allow all
from any to any   so I don't think that ipfw is hurting me....