Date:      Fri, 14 Apr 95 11:06:00 PDT
From:      Plyaskin Sergey <splyaski@cmp.com>
To:        Brian Tao <taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw>
Cc:        "'.freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: IRC client (contd.)

 ----------
On Thu, 13 Apr 1995, Plyaskin Sergey wrote:

> INTERNET===Host1(HP9000)===FW===Host2(HP9000)===Host3(FreeBSD)
>                                 Host4(FreeBSD)
>
> Hosts 1 and 2 run HPUX 9.04 and have everything set up. I do not have DNS
on
> the Host3 because generally I only can access Host2 and Host3. I use hosts

> table for that purpose. Now I need to run IRC from Host3. Obviously, this
> not possible because I Host3 can't resolve names.

    Are you saying Host3 doesn't have a default nameserver or it isn't
in your DNS?  Your DNS is probably located on Host1 (my guess, being
outside the firewall where the rest of the world can see it), so point
your /etc/resolv.conf on Host3 to Host1.  There is no requirement that
Host3 be resolvable by anyone else to get on IRC.  My machine shows up
as 140.109.40.248 on IRC because I haven't gotten around to adding our
FreeBSD boxes to our DNS.  You might even get away with not having a
default nameserver on Host3 if you put your IRC server into
/etc/hosts, but things like /dcc will stop working.
taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw <-- work ........ play --> taob@io.org

Firstly, thanks a lot to all who responded. The problem is still there,
though...
Right now, my FreeBSD box (Host3) cannot use DNS on Host2 for some reason. I
have pointed to Host2 as my name server and configured /etc/resolv.conf. It
does not work anyway. I can't directly access, let's say irc2.mit.edu, even
if I have the entry for it in my host table. I believe I should have some
port open (6667?) on Host2 or some kind of "IRC proxy", or something else
(?) to allow for communication. Any ideas? Thanks.

Serge     splyaski@cmp.com