Date:      Tue, 7 Apr 1998 01:17:38 -0600 (MDT)
From:      R Ricci <R.Ricci@m.cc.utah.edu>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   VERY strange network(?) problem

I'm having a very strange problem with our web/mail server (running
2.2.1), and I'd appreciate any pointers any of you could give me. Part of
my problem is that I'm not sure exaclty what methods I can use for
tracking down the source of my difficulties.

Often, during TCP connections to the server, the connection will "stall",
ie. I get no data for several seconds/minutes. This causes huge problems,
of course, when it comes to checking mail, retrieving web pages, etc. At
frist, I suspected disk problems, but experimentation has pretty much
ruled this out. Doing a 'ps' on the server while one of these stalls is
occuring reveals that the offending process is just in state S or I, not
waiting on the disk.

The only clue I have (and it may not be relevant) is the following
message, which keeps showing up in /var/log/messages/ :

arplookup 207.201.65.2 failed: host is not on local network

This IP is on our gateway. It's another interface on that gateway, but not
on our local network. (Our server sees the gateway as 207.201.125.65). I'm
not sure what I need to do do fix this.

Any help, and/or suggestions of additional things to try will be very
welcome!

Robert Ricci
R.Ricci@m.cc.utah.edu