Date:      Tue, 18 Mar 1997 10:40:00 -0800
From:      David Clark <bigdave@ai2a.net>
To:        fellow@simplex.nl
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TRUST

barend vd berg wrote:

> L.S.;
>
> Hello, my internet provider says that i get disconnects(they use FREE
> BSD) because of my NOT A class modem.
> It is an OEM Trust (Hayes comp.) 14k4 faxclass 0,1,2 !!
> Is it so that freebsd can only be used with Macintosh and(i have a PC)
> Tornado modems !?
>
> Puzzled,
>
> Barend

Hi,

I run a FreeBSD host system that works with ANYTHING! Lets
look first at the modem INITialization string. This instructs
the modem how it should behave when being used. Init strings
are generally quite different for each make and model of modem!

To properly setup ANY modem, you must have the printed manual
for your modem. It has a section generally entitled AT COMMAND
REFERENCE (or similar). The init string should always start with
the following:

		+++at

After this startup, you merely add those features which you need
to set. Typical ISP operations require that you have the following
features set:

	reset modem to factory defaults		&F
	remote carrier detect state		&C1
	hangup if DTR signal drops		$D2
	use hardware handshaking		&K3
	DISABLE error control			\N0
	DISABLE data compression		%C0

Remember, check your manual for the correct init string commands
for your specific modem. Those above are fairly typical - but are
not necessarily going to be correct for your modem. Once you have
the correct set of commands, just concatenate them. For example:

	+++AT&F&C1&D2*K3\N0%C0

Be sure that if you use UPPERCASE alpha characters in your string
that you use them throughout the init string. You may instead use
lowercase alpha characters - again so long as you use them across
the entire init string.

MAC init strings nearly always use $D0 whereas PC init strings
nearly always use &D2 as a part of the init string.

Using the above set of commands is an adequate starting point for
making your modem connect properly. You can experiment with turning
data compression and/or error control back on after you get the
modem connecting reliably. (I advise all my clients to turn off the
data compression and error correction and LEAVE it off!).

David Clark