Date:      Sat, 28 Apr 2012 16:52:27 +0100
From:      Frank Mitchell <mitchell@wyatt672earp.force9.co.uk>
To:        "Dag-Erling =?utf-8?q?Sm=C3=B8rgrav?=" <des@des.no>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Wildebeest Licensing

Hi: Why not write your own Software License? Just avoid anything illegal.

Before composing the Wildebeest Licence I read some legal stuff to ensure i=
t=20
made sense. Remember, I live in England, where Copyright Law is different, =
and=20
licenses formulated for the USA can be silly. Microsoft's Warranty Disclaim=
ers=20
about Merchantability and Personal Injury are completely invalid here. And=
=20
we're covered by European Union law, which doesn't recognise Software Paten=
ts=20
as such.

Originally I was motivated by Joerg Schilling's experience with "cdrecord".=
=20
I'm sure the "No Warranty" clause attracts people who don't bother to test=
=20
their ideas properly. "Spiegel" is my personal CD Writing project, so I aim=
ed=20
to keep it simple and ensure it worked properly. I don't want anybody=20
circulating defective versions of a program which people may use to back up=
=20
their data.