Date:      Fri, 10 May 2002 17:51:31 +0200
From:      Miguel Mendez <flynn@energyhq.homeip.net>
To:        Josef Grosch <jgrosch@mooseriver.com>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org, questions@bafug.org
Subject:   Re: What hardware do you use ?

--HcAYCG3uE/tztfnV

On Fri, May 10, 2002 at 08:31:18AM -0700, Josef Grosch wrote:

[moved to chat@]

> This question came up at last night BAFUG meeting. What hardware do people
> use and/or recommend? Specifically, if you were going to build a machine,
> using commonly available parts and just to run a generic kernel, what
> ethernet, video, motherboards, etc, would you use and/or recommend?

You haven't specified if it's for a server or desktop, but here's my
0.02Euro:

	- Motherboards: don't be cheap here, get some quality brand,
	  Asus, Iwill, Supermicro, A/Bit
	- CPU: I'd say go AMD, their products are top notch.
	- NIC: 3com or Intel. Avoid Realtek like the plague.
	- HD: I always use SCSI, but that's me. My personal choices are
	  Quantum (Atlas) and Seagate (Barracuda and Cheetah)
	- Video: For a desktop I'd get Matrox or ATI (if you need 3d).
	  Avoid NVidia at all costs, they suck :-)
	- Case: If you are making a server go for rackmount, else get
	  something with good air flow, as AMD procs get really hot.
	- Mouse: Something people sometimes underestimate, a good mouse
	  is pretty important if you use your computer many hours a day,
	  my favourite is Logitec's Pilot, no wheel or fancy crap, but a
	  very comfortable design.
	 =20

Cheers,
--=20