Date:      Thu, 31 Jan 2002 17:34:08 -0800
From:      Jason Evans <jasone@canonware.com>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?G=E9rard_Roudier?= <groudier@free.fr>
Cc:        Kenneth Culver <culverk@yumyumyum.org>, "Cameron, Frank" <Cameron@ctc.com>, Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>, "'freebsd-current@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: AMD AGP Bug

On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 11:14:48PM +0100, Gérard Roudier wrote:

> Linux can be fixed, but the useless writes of the existing Athlons from
> the very fast cache to the relatively very slow memory cannot. And all
> Athlon users may well pay this penalty under any OS...  unless we want to
> disable caching. :)

Have you done benchmarks to show that the speculative writes are useless
often enough to cause enough memory bus contention that overall performance
is degraded, despite the speedups when the speculative writes are valid?  I
suspect that AMD in fact performed such tests; otherwise they wouldn't have
gone to the trouble of implementing speculative writes.

Jason