Date:      Mon, 25 Mar 2002 18:49:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        "Cambria, Mike" <mcambria@avaya.com>
Cc:        "'Archie Cobbs'" <archie@dellroad.org>, "'freebsd-net@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Unnumbered IP Interface

On Mon, 25 Mar 2002, Cambria, Mike wrote:

> Thanks.  I have a few follow-up questions to your answer.
>
> I'm not using netgraph (at least at the moment).  Will this matter?

No it's a totally sepaate matter.

> I assume 'ifconfig lmc0 up' is all I need to do to bring the interface up
> prior to "route add <next hop> -iface lmc0..."

yes, assuming it's a point-to-point interface.

> On FreeBSD, do I need to do anything special to run OSPF or BGP4 over an
> unnumbered interface?  (If I remember correctly RIP doesn't support an
> unnumbered interface.)

I have NO idea.. I've only used it with static routes.

> I have four of these lmc cards.  Besides the leased line monthly charges ...
> am I crazy doing this on FreeBSD?   They all work in one machine at the
> moment (4.5-Stable).  I'm just starting to get the p2p routing setup (it has
> been a long time.)   Are 4 unnumbered interfaces supported in one machine?
> Can they all point to the same next hop?  4 different next hops?  A
> combination?

It all depends on what you want to do.

what is the driver called?
does it have a netgraph interface? (if so you can GANG the cards by
using the one2many netgraph node. otherwise
I need more info on what you are trying to do....