Date:      Fri, 28 Mar 1997 18:28:11 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Subject:   Re: Funny sc0 behaviour

As Nate Williams wrote:

> > Of course, most of the above is a lie. :-)  This machine has neither
> > a keyboard connected, nor a graphics card present at all.
> >
> > Shouldn't sc0 fail probing in this case?
>
> Sure, but because of pst's 'DETECT_KBD' patch, it always returns true in
> the failure mode.

I agree that it shouldn't be fatal if just the keyboard detection
fails.  There are too many brok^H^H^H^Hweird keyboards around, as we
know since the days when we tried to make the keyboard-probing
bootblocks the standard.

However, if there's no graphics adapter that can be found (and this
condition can be detected reliably, there's no need to blindly assume
it were an MDA), syscons (and pcvt, for that matter) have no business
at all.

--
cheers, J"org