Date:      Fri, 27 Jan 1995 20:00:58 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-current@freefall.cdrom.com, mark@grunt.grondar.za
Subject:   Re: REMAKE WORLD

> OK, guys! I'm on the "make" and I'm 'gonna take on the world.

As long as you realise this takes 7 days, I think you have a good thing...

> The warts on the makefile system have gotten out of control. It is time to
> throw out the old nag and get a fresh horse.
>
> I've "talked" to Jordan and we agree that this is a "good idea(tm)."
>
> Nothing is sacred.

:-)

In the beginning...

> The plan:
> 1) Determine design goals

:
:

> So much for starters. What other ideas do you want to throw in?

In the ports tree, (I know this is a little detail, but let's sow the
seed now) lets make some kind of cookie that shows whether a port is
installed. (Sort-of-like-a /var/installed/less-<version>) that other
port builds can use.

> 7. I know that we are not NetBSD but ... Multi-platform cross compiling is
> close enough to a fall-out that I think we should include the mechanism for
> it.

Of course. Lets work towards "grand unification"!

> 8. For those of us who build "sup -current" trees, the ability to post a
> "forget this program" lock which will allow a virtual delete of targets
> that do not properly build without altering the Makefiles.

Something like an "anti-build-cookie"?

Mark Murray
46 Harvey Rd, Claremont, Cape Town 7700, South Africa
+27 21 61-3768 GMT+0200