Date:      Tue, 10 Jul 2001 09:55:37 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        Kenneth W Cochran <kwc@world.std.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tracking -stable remotely/colocated

There is a way to accomplish this. It requires 2 computers.
The first is your server, the second is a terminal computer.
You never log into the actual server, but the terminal
computer is connected via serial line to the server to
act as a console. This way, you can reboot and everything
over an ssh connection and you see what's going on just as
if you were sitting right at it.
The terminal computer need not be anything fancy. Got any old
P133s collecting dust? And you can connect multiple servers
to it.
I'm not very sure of the implementation details on this setup:
the handbook should help. But I did talk with one sysadmin a
few months ago that had ~15 servers running like this off of
two terminal machines. He loved the setup and recommended it.

-Bill