Date:      Thu, 18 Jun 2020 13:50:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        bsd-lists@BSDforge.com
Cc:        freebsd-net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>, "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>, Jaap Akkerhuis <jaap@nlnetlabs.nl>, Andriy Gapon <avg@freebsd.org>, Ryan Steinmetz <zi@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: unbound and (isc) dhcpd startup order

> > > Unbound isn't really going to do anything useful without the network.  I
> > > don't think it is unreasonable that it should depend on NETWORKING.
> >
> > Well then the current setup for local_unbound is counter to that,
> > as it is BEFORE: NETWORKING
> >
> > > I think we're in an edge case here and, perhaps, a better solution might
> > > be to have someone(tm) add in support in rc.conf to specify dependency
> > > overrides.
> >
> > dns and configuration are a chicken/egg problem, not really an edge
> > case, and a person must make a decision as to how to deal with that.
> >

> > > So, perhaps you could set:
> > >
> > > dhcpd_after="unbound"
> > >
> > > Which would factor into the rcorder processing and make sure that dhcpd
> > > starts after unbound.
> > >
> > > This would allow people to fine-tune things when they run into cases
> > > like this.
> >
> > Even beside the unbound problem, this is a good idea.  It would
> > fix my "I need ipfw before routing as without ipfw my ospf packets
> > get blocked and things take much longer to come up problem."
> Honestly. I'm really inclined to agree with Rodney. rcorder should
> really be a more fine-grained utility.
> What about something like:
> BEFORE: NETWORKING: pf
> or
> BEFORE: NETWORKING: ipfw
> or
> BEFORE: NETWORKING: unbound
> etc, etc...
> I think there *may* be a better direction. *But* this, at least
> should be an easy direction to add with few repercussions. Yes?

I do not see your fine graining, the above can be expressed
already with just the pf, ipfw or unbound keyword can't they?

Though I do think we need to maybe find ways to alter
what the default values for BEFORE: and REQUIRE: are
in the /etc/rc.d files.  As my example I use the fact
I have to add ipfw to rc.d/routing as it is problematic
getting a routing protocol (ospf, bgp, ripv2) to come up
when the firewall is blocking all the packets.  It eventuly
sorts itself out, but its ugly on the console and on the wire.