Date:      Fri, 21 Dec 2012 09:35:59 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <alfred@ixsystems.com>
To:        "arch@freebsd.org" <arch@freebsd.org>, Rui Paulo <rpaulo@freebsd.org>
Subject:   making use of userland dtrace on FreeBSD

Hey folks,

We have had userland dtrace for a while now.  However it's not really
hooked up into the build, nor as far as I can tell are ports nor shared
libs.

Dtrace can be immensely useful for tracking down hard to find bugs,
memory leaks, performance problems and a lot more.

What are the thoughts on making this available by default on FreeBSD
going forward?

What would need to happen?

Supposedly we can do this by just adding
"CFLAGS=-fno-omit-frame-pointer" and not completely stripping installed
tools/libraries.

Would it make sense to set this as default for the whole system? Just
libs+ports?  Or do people think that the performance gain of
omit-frame-pointer (which I am unsure of) is worth the loss of
debug-ability (like a certain arctic bird based OS)?

I have also factored in the size of binaries into this, and I really am
not sure why it would be a problem other than if we didn't offer an
"easy button" to make things "small".

Let's figure this out, because it seems to me that we should be offering
this to our users if possible.

-Alfred