Date:      Tue, 26 Sep 1995 00:47:50 -0700
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        scott@statsci.com
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: which releases are /pub/FreeBSD/packages/* good for?

 * Is the packaging scheme smart enough to tell if I have a suitable OS revision
 * for being able to use a particular package? For instance, if I go grab
 * ftp.freebsd.org:/pub/FreeBSD/packages/All/zsh-2.6b10.tgz and am able to
 * successfully pkg_add it, should I expect that it will work properly? I'm
 * running 2.0.5-RELEASE from CD. Or should I just go grab sources & build for
 * myself? Or should I just be patient and wait for the 2.1 CD?

 @ No, that's why we build packages in a batch in put them in
   package-<rel> directories.

 @ It depends, it should complain about the libc minor version number but
   zsh will probably work.

 @ Yes, that's probably the best idea at this point.  With the ports
   mechanism, building the software yourself is almost as easy as
   adding it from a package.

 @ That's a good idea too. :)

Satoshi