Date:      Fri, 16 Mar 2001 20:28:37 +0200
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        Anil Jangity <aj@entic.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multiple vendors FTP denial of service

On Fri, Mar 16, 2001 at 08:39:07AM -0800, Anil Jangity wrote:
> Kris/All,
>
> FTPD is run as root (atleast on my machine). I don't want to limit root
> resources, since I am not sure exactly what a good ball park figure for
> root would be...
>
> I looked in ftpd(8) for some way to make it run as another user (atleast
> after it starts up) but no luck.
>
> So, my question is, how do you propose we resource limit ftpd as you
> suggest via login.conf?

It might not be easy to do this via login.conf; if you are running your
ftpd via inetd, though, you can use /usr/bin/limits to do that:

ftp stream tcp nowait root /usr/bin/limits ftpd -d10K /usr/libexec/ftpd -l

..or you could make an ftpd wrapper:

#!/bin/sh
ulimit -d 10240
exec /usr/libexec/ftpd -l

Having said that, I, too, haven't tested whether setting resource limits
eliminates the original problem.

G'luck,
Peter

--
The rest of this sentence is written in Thailand, on