Date:      Sun, 22 Oct 1995 12:10:28 -0500
From:      Rich Murphey <rich@lamprey.utmb.edu>
To:        nate@rocky.sri.MT.net
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.org, nate@rocky.sri.MT.net
Subject:   Re: Linux emulator working?

I've run the linux version of doom for X as well as part of
the linux version of mathematica on 2.1-STABLE.  Here's my
notes which are about a month old now.

How to run Linux binaries on FreeBSD 2.1-STABLE:

Install a kernel whose configuration file contains:

    options "COMPAT_LINUX"
    options SYSVSHM

If you do not already have a /lkm/linux_mod.o, build and install the
loadable kernel module (LKM) and /usr/bin/linux:

    cd /usr/src/lkm/linux
    make all install

load the LKM (as root):

    linux

get the linux runtime libraries:

    mkdir /compat/linux
    cd /compat/linux
    ncftp ftp.freebsd.org:pub/FreeBSD/2.0.5-RELEASE/xperimnt/linux-emu/linux-emu.tar.gz
    tar xzf linux-emu.tar.gz
    rm -rf usr lkm

[you've already installed the lkm and /usr/bin/linux]

To test it, install linux doom:

    ncftp ftp.freebsd.org:pub/FreeBSD/2.0.5-RELEASE/xperimnt/linux-emu/linux-doom-1.8.tar.gz
    tar xzf linux-doom-1.8.tar.gz
    cd doom-1.8
    ./xdoom

See also:
man compat_linux
ftp.freebsd.org:/home/ftp/pub/FreeBSD/2.0.5-RELEASE/xperimnt/linux-emu/README
/usr/src/sys/i386/ibcs2/README.iBCS2

|2) Install the Linux versions of ld.so, shlibs for normal stuff, and X
|   libraries from the Slackware 2.3 disk on cdrom.com into
|   /compat/linux/lib.

Yep, and we have copies as well:

    mkdir /compat/linux
    cd /compat/linux
    ncftp ftp.freebsd.org:pub/FreeBSD/2.0.5-RELEASE/xperimnt/linux-emu/linux-emu.tar.gz
    tar xzf linux-emu.tar.gz
    rm -rf usr lkm

|OK, thinking maybe this program had something weird in it, I downloaded
|executor which Bill Pechter already claimed success on, and I get the
|exact same error. :(
|
|What am I doing wrong?  What can I do to fix this?  I'm going to try to
|get Linux-IDL running under FreeBSD to see how the performance compares
|to the SPARC version we have.

The difference in the libraries and the date of the
FreeBSD-stable sources is the only significant differences I
can see.  So you might try the version of the libraries in
the tar file above.

PS. My licence for mathematica should have arrived so we
should know fairly soon whether the linux port of
mathematica will run under freebsd.  Rich