Date:      Tue, 29 Aug 1995 08:55:17 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        pst@shockwave.com, rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, jfieber@grendel.csc.smith.edu
Subject:   Re: pedantic paul on compilation warnings

>> 4.4BSD-Lite did NOT provide -ms macros, only -me macros, which is why
>> we went through contortions to import groff-1.09 in time for FreeBSD 2.0.

>You're 1/2 right too:
>.\"     @@(#)tmac.s     8.1 (Berkeley) 6/8/93
>.\"
>.\" If groff, use groff -ms, else use local -ms (w/ditroff, troff, nroff)
>.ie \n(.g \{\
>.       so /usr/share/tmac/tmac.groff_ms
>.\}
>.el \{\
>.       so /usr/old/lib/tmac/tmac.s
>.\}
>@

>This is from the Attic of ~ncvs/src/share/tmac.

>Now, what happened to tmac.groff_ms???
>gndrsh# locate tmac.groff
>/usr/share/tmac/tmac.groff_an
>gndrsh#

In 2.0, groff/tmac/Makefile installed tmac.s as tmac.groff_ms, but in
2.0.5, tmac.s is installed as itself.  man `groff_ms' bogusly says that
the FILES are `/usr/share/tmac/tmac.' The extension is null because of
an TMAC_S is not initialized.    The SYNOPSIS is wrong too.  There don't
seem to be any variables to control the installation of tmac.s.  I will
fix at least the man page.

Bruce