Date:      24 Jun 2001 18:20:53 +0200
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
To:        "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <karsten@rohrbach.de>
Cc:        Soren Kristensen <soren@soekris.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Status of encryption hardware support in FreeBSD

"Karsten W. Rohrbach" <karsten@rohrbach.de> writes:
> i think ipsec crypto abstraction into hardware is one side of the medal,
> but the other side -- to be polished first -- ist getting openssl onto
> the iron.

What you're basically trying to say is that you want a userland
interface to the crypto hardware, so that OpenSSL can take advatange
of it if it's present?

> as i said, there is a 3.x freebsd driver, would this help?
> i am not into writing drivers ;-)

Allow me to repeat myself: "driver source does not constitute adequate
documentation.  It helps, but it's neither sufficient nor necessary."

A 3.x driver *could* be ported forward to 4.x and 5.x, but the
required changes are not trivial (newbus, SMPng...) and you'd still
need sample boards for testing and debugging, and docs for reference
when you don't understand what the existing driver is trying to do.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org