Date:      Thu, 21 Dec 1995 09:51:42 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: disklabel -r -w rz2 rzxx

As Bruce Evans wrote:

> >I thought of this being a neat idea, and actually all we need in order
> >to implement it would be that ioctl(DIOCGDINFO) would fill in as much
> >parameters for an unlabelled disk as the driver does already know.
>
> It already does.  The known parameters are available for the whole
> drive and can easily be used for dangerously dedicated drives, e.g.,
>
> 	disklabel /dev/rsd0 |
> 	sed -e 's/^rpm: 0$/rpm: 3600/' -e 's/^interleave: 0$/interleave: 1/' |
> 	disklabel -R -r /dev/rsd0 /dev/stdin
>
> Here the sed commands substitute some of the unknown values with
> possibly-bogus but working values.

Hmm, interesting.  For which devices?

Short of a real empty disk to test with, i've only been playing with
vn devices :), and all i've got was:

Dec 21 00:19:43 uriah /kernel: vn0: invalid primary partition table: no magic
Dec 21 00:20:17 uriah /kernel: vn0: invalid primary partition table: no magic
Dec 21 00:20:17 uriah /kernel: vn0: invalid primary partition table: no magic
Dec 21 00:21:51 uriah last message repeated 5 times
Dec 21 00:21:51 uriah last message repeated 5 times

(I would have played with floppies, too, but i realized that they are
not even supposed to work.  Though it's probably not a big deal to
make them work.)

> Of course, the fact that this works means that the label isn't necessary
> except for its partitioning function.

That's what i'm expecting.

> Handling slices is more complicated.  Apart from DIOCGDINFO only being
> implemented for slices that already have a BSD label, it is important
> for the slices to be allocated before the labels.  How does digital
> handle the extra layer of complications? ;-)

What's a slice? :-) :-)

--
cheers, J"org