Date:      Fri, 21 Dec 2001 10:50:51 -0500
From:      Kenneth Culver <culverk@yumyumyum.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   panic on 12/20/01 current

Hi, I have just managed to repetedly panic -CURRENT... How you ask? I'll tell
you :-D

The short story is "Run a linux version of XFree86," here's the long story:

first, I got the linux version of XFree86, along with all it's driver modules
(compliled under linux of course). Then in /usr/compat/linux/dev, I created
tty entries using mknod (mknod tty0 c 12 0, etc.. for each tty up to 5)

then I did this: /usr/compat/linux/usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86

the XFree86 said "error switching terminal's" or something similar, and
immediately after that, FreeBSD panics with the following:

Fatal trap 12 while in kernel mode
fault virtual address = 0x4
fault code = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer = 0x8: 0xc0204f57
stack pointer = 0x10:0xf94dfaf8
frame pointer = 0x10:0xf94dfb14
code segment = base 0x0,  limit 0xfffff,  type 0x1b
	         = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process = 262 (XFree86)
kernel: type 12 trap, code = 0

I didn't write all the argument adresses down because my computer was stuck
beeping at me... just one constant beeeeeeep until I restart the computer so
I wanted to reboot it as fast as possible, if these are needed, I can go back
and get them. They all appeared valid anyway (none of them were NULL)

db> trace

scioctl + 0xa33
spec_ioctl + 0x26
ufs_vnoperatespec + 0x15
vn_ioctl  + 0x10f
ioctl + 0x288
linux_ioctl_console + 0x209
linux_ioctl + 0x54

That's basically the end, there was more but I think this is all that's
relevant... Anyway, If anyone reproduces this or fixes this or even reads
this and has more questions, please let me know. Thanks.

Ken