Date:      Sun, 05 Dec 1999 15:46:05 +0000
From:      jomor <jomor@ahpcns.com>
To:        "questions@freebsd.org" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: fbsd current + Mylex raid (dac960) reboot after install fails

Martin Anderberg wrote:

> On Sun, 5 Dec 1999, jomor wrote:
>
> > Dunno about 4.0-current, but 3.3-STABLE  doesn't seem to have support for any
> > RAID cards in the GENERIC kernel.  When I wanted to install to a compaq
> > w/RAID, I had to build a custom kernel, gzip it and copy it to the kernel.flp
> > floppy. Then after the install and B4 a reboot you need to copy the
> > (unzipped) custom kernel to / since install puts in a GENERIC kernel. It
> > doesn't pull the kernel from the install floppy.
> >                     HTH    ...jgm
>
> So i can just copy the boot-floppy kernel into / on the new installation
> and it might work? No lilo-like stuff i have to do afterwards?

Install will copy the GENERIC kernel from the distribution, not from the floppy.
You will need to overwite the GENERIC kernel (that will be on your HD following
install) with a custom kernel that was built with support for your RAID card. This
same custom kernel needs to be on your boot floppy  ( in gzipped form ) to start
the install also.
                HTH   ...jgm