Date:      Wed, 17 Sep 2008 06:49:30 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Francisco Reyes <lists@stringsutils.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Source install to look like installed package

--------------enig3F34280BA0346CA3C31C3DE6

Francisco Reyes wrote:
> Where could I find the structure of an installed port?

The plist format is documented in pkg_create(1) -- that's the=20
bulk of what you need.  pkg_add(1) contains most of the rest.
=20
> I am trying to take an existing binary install and make it appear as an=
=20
> installed package to facilitate uninstall.
>=20
> It is the FreePascal install script. Although we have a a port, it=20
> usually is behind.
> The existing script basically just untars some binaries to a user=20
> selected directory.

You mean you want to generate a /var/db/pkg/portname-1.2.3
directory with appropriate contents so you can wrangle a bunch
of files already on your hard drive as if they were a port?

Actually, that's pretty much what the ports system does when you
do an install from source.  Check out the commands the 'do-package'
target runs as shown in /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk

Alternatively, and something which is a lot simpler: if all you
want is to cleanly dispose of files installed outside the ports
system and there is already a port of the software you want, then
just do a forced install of the port on top of the existing files,
and then  pkg_delete the port.  This should get rid of the vast
majority if not all of those files.

Submitting PRs with updates to bring the FreePascal port up to date
will earn you karma points...

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20