Date:      Tue, 21 Jul 1998 14:05:35 -1000
From:      "Randal S. Masutani" <randal@comtest.com>
To:        john@ece.arizona.edu (John Galbraith)
Cc:        Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, FreeBSD-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: new GPIB driver

On 21 Jul 98, at 15:21, John Galbraith wrote:

> I have a new GPIB driver that supports National products AT/GPIB and
> GPIB/TNT.  I believe it to be significantly better than the one
> currently included in FreeBSD-2.2.6 (in /sys/i386/isa/gpib.c).  It
> should be a whole lot faster by the use of interrupts and different
> polling techniques (which is why I started this in the first place).
> My driver is a complete rewrite, with some insight gathered from both
> the current FreeBSD driver and the Linux driver.  The Linux driver was
> particularly helpful, because National apparently likes to withhold
> certain details about their products... (lame)

Great!  This is exactly what I've been looking for! :)

> I would like to contribute my code, but would like some advice on how
> to best package it.  It would be nice to have some other folks try it
> out first, too.  I still have to package it, though.  I have been
> debugging the driver as an lkm, but most drivers that you aren't
> actually working on are easier if you just config them in.  It would
> seem best to make it work either way.  Second, it exists in multiple
> source files right now.  Is it best to consolodate all the source into
> one huge file, or leave it as several?  Finally, how would I go about
> showing that this code is reliable and is worthy of replacing the
> current gpib.c?

I will take your code as is.  I am trying to meet some deadlines and
would appreciate if you could email me what you have.

> I haven't contributed anything before.  It would be useful to me if
> somebody more experienced with device drivers than myself would be
> willing to look over what I have and make sure that I didn't do
> anything particularly stupid.

I have been hacking at the current gpib.c driver and had some success
getting it upto 600Kbytes/s transfers.  But I would definitely like to
eval your driver.

> I do not take this list (should I?) so if you could make sure I am
> explicitly included in any replies, that would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
> 	John Galbraith

Randal Masutani