Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 2000 20:18:26 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Matt Simerson <mpsimerson@hostpro.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: PXE boot problem.

On Thu, 30 Nov 2000, Matt Simerson wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I've been trying hard to get a FreeBSD system booted via PXE with only
> limited success. Maybe someone can have a look at my configs and shed a
> little light on this for me.
>
> Here's what happens at boot time:
>
>    Intel UNDI, PXE-2.0 (build 067)

Problem #1: broken build.  Flash your motherboard/card to the latest,
build 082.

>    option broadcast-address 192.168.254.255;
>    option domain-name-servers 192.168.254.3;
>    option domain-name "domain.com";
>    option routers 192.168.254.1;
>    option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
>    option space PXE;
>    option PXE.mtftp-ip     code 1 = ip-address;
>    option PXE.mtftp-cport  code 2 = unsigned integer 16;
>    option PXE.mtftp-sport  code 3 = unsigned integer 16;
>    option PXE.mtftp-tmout  code 4 = unsigned integer 8;
>    option PXE.mtftp-delay  code 5 = unsigned integer 8;

Problem #2: This is not required, and is in fact wrong.  tftp != mtftp.
Unless you have an MTFTP server around ...

I highly suggest doing it the old fashioned way with boot-file.  PXE will
fault over to RPL/'normal' mode very quickly and works perfectly.

dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu     |  www.FreeBSD.org