Date:      Mon, 29 Jan 1996 18:27:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      Fred Cawthorne <fred@jjarray.umd.edu>
To:        scsi@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        announce@FreeBSD.org, peter@taronga.com
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD CD-R driver alpha available

I have successfully written a CD using the HP cd writer.  I had
to make only the 2 changes I mentioned in my last post.  I have a dedicated
hard drive for the CD mastering, and I have a Pentium-90 with 32 megs of
ram.  I supped -current this morning and installed a current kernel on my
2.1R machine.

Some notes:
The HP CD-R is on its own controller (an AHA1542CF).
I could start up X, recompile the kernel while starting a couple of netscapes,
etc... and it still worked.  (I did all of this stuff with the laser off,
but it still kept up with the drive)
One sort-of wierd thing was that the CD-R stayed in dummy mode even though
I didn't tell it to the second time.  The docs I have say something about
removing the medium resetting this stuff, so I ejected and put it back in
and it wrote fine...   (630 megs or so...)  I also got the newest version
of mkisofs from some linux site somewhere and used that.
I used:
mkisofs -d -a -N -l -R -T -v -A "This is a Test" -P "Written by JJARRAY" -o /cdmaster/image.iso /cdbuild
(where cdbuild has the directory tree I want on the cdrom, and cdmaster is
another partition on the dedicated CD disk)
I then used the vn driver to examine the contents of the iso9660 filesystem.
I didn't even waste any CD's !!

Many thanks to everybody involved in getting this working!!!

Here's the shell script I used to write the CD...  I don't know if the
sleeps are necessary but I stuck them in anyway...
(The rtprio etc. line specified in the wormcontrol man page is a bit wierd...)

#/bin/csh -x
wormcontrol select PLASMON RF4100
sleep 1
wormcontrol prepdisk double
sleep 1
wormcontrol track data
sleep 1
rtprio 5 team -v 1m < /cdmaster/image.iso | dd of=/dev/rworm0 obs=20k
sleep 1
wormcontrol fixate 1

Fred.