Date:      Wed, 13 Sep 1995 19:59:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        jmb@kryten.atinc.com (Jonathan M. Bresler)
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: -stable: *** Error code  ONLY one

> {where do we discuss -stable?? here till release??}
>
> make world on -stable results in many troff warnings and a few errors.
> this is as of 6am EDT sup
>
> ===> usr.sbin/rmt
> ln -s /usr/sbin/rmt /etc/rmt
> ln: /etc/rmt: File exists
> *** Error code 1 (ignored)
>

> diff for Makefile:
>
> *** Makefile.old        Wed Sep 13 20:54:55 1995
> --- Makefile    Wed Sep 13 20:54:48 1995
> ***************
> *** 4,9 ****
> --- 4,10 ----
>   MAN8= rmt.8
>
>   beforeinstall:
> +       rm -f ${DESTDIR}/etc/rmt
>         -ln -s ${BINDIR}/rmt ${DESTDIR}/etc/rmt
>
>   .include <bsd.prog.mk>

Correct method:

	if [ ! -e ${DESTDIR}/etc/rmt]; then		\
		ln -s ${BINDIR}/rmt ${DESTDIR}/etc/rmt	\
	fi

It is not nice for make world to touch things in /etc, no matter what
it is.  The unsilent ignoreing of the error above was a quick hack
by some one who did not bother to do it correctly.

Forceful removal of my very different symbolic link in /etc is going
to make me submit a bug report :-).