Date:      Fri, 23 Jan 1998 14:55:56 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        ExecPC Internet Mail <rvh@execpc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installation suggestions

On Thu, Jan 22, 1998 at 11:50:38PM -0800, ExecPC Internet Mail wrote:
> My main area of confusion comes from setting up network interfaces.   I
> intend on using my serial port (cuaa0) for the connection but after I make
> this choice I am asked to setup the internet parameters.  My internet
> provider's info is:
> 	IP addres: 	dynamically allocated
> 	Netmask:	255.255.0.0
> 	Primary DNS:	169.207.1.3
> 	Secondary DNS:	204.29.202.6
> 	POP Mail Server:	mail.execpc.com
> 	SMTP Mail Server:	mailgate.execpc.com
> 	NNTP News Server:	news.execpc.com
> 	Home Page:	http:\\www.execpc.com
> 	Telnet Host:	earth.execpc.com
> 	BBS:			bbs.execpc.com
> 	Public FTP Host:	ftp.execpc.com
> 	User FTF Host:	earth.execpc.com
> 	email:	 {my username}@execpc.com
> 	PPP login:	P{username}
> 	shell login:	{username}
>
> My ISP website states that "Gateway addresses are used by some older
> dial-up products and should not be used as DNS Server addresses."
> My confusion comes in when, during installation I am asked for;
> Host Name, Domain Name, Gateway, Name server,  and "Configuration
> information for Interface ed1, IP Address and Netmask, and Extra options to
> ifconfig.

Why are you doing this configuration for ed1?  ed1 is your network
interface (Twisted Pair or Coax).  You should be configuring for PPP,
not the network.

> Do I pick any name for Host name?

Unless you can get execpc.com or somebody else to donate you a 'real'
hostname, you can use any hostname, yes.  I'd advise you to get a real
one, though - check out e.g. ml.org for free hostname service.

> do I use execpc.com for domain name,

This depend on where you get your hostname from.  You'll want to get a
fully qualified hostname, as in rvh.execpc.com, or mynamehere.ml.org.

 and
> what do I enter for Gateway and nameserver? (I would guess my Primary DNS
> provided).

For gateway, you shouldn't need to enter anything if you're running with PPP.  Just leave it at 0.0.0.0.

For name server, enter primary DNS - DNS is Domain _Name Service_.

I hope this helps.

Eivind.