Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 1995 19:09:44 +0100 (MET)
From:      "DI. Christian Gusenbauer" <cg@scotty.edvz.uni-linz.ac.at>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: SVNET Meeting?

On Tue, 21 Mar 1995, Bruce Evans wrote:

> >Oh man.... Hmmm...  The firmware is < 2k.  Its basically an array of
> >byte values that the driver dumps to the card.  The current setup
> >is the best setup except that it contaminates the GENERIC kernel
> >(ie, if someone decides its okay for them to use this driver, it works
> >without haveing to do anything special on their part except configure
> >for the controller.)  If you can think of a way for the driver to
> >read in an additional file during boot, then we can distribute the
> >firmware separately.
>
> There will have to be a another stage in the boot for 2.1.  This
> is not hard to implement, except for the dosboot and possibly the
> netboot.  The dosboot and the netboot are already out of date.
> The netboot lacks support for BIOS drive geometries (which is
> essential for correct operation of fdisk and sysinstall) and both
> lack support for BIOS memory sizes.

Yes, I know that the dosboot is out of date. But there were so many
changes to the boot code, that I stopped updating dosboot. Every time
I started updating I received changes for the boot code (have you ever
heard from a guy called "Sisyphos" ;-)

Bruce, just send me mail and I start updating again!

The BIOS memory support is a special problem for dosboot, because memory
managers like 386max don't give me the right values. 386max for example
tells me that there is *no high mem* available!

--
Christian.
cg@fimp01.fim.uni-linz.ac.at