Date:      Sat, 23 Feb 2002 23:44:12 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1014961453.c6e7ea@mired.org>
To:        "Jeff Jeter" <gsfgf@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linux shell scripts

Jeff Jeter <gsfgf@hotmail.com> types:

> ------=_NextPart_000_0009_01C1BCA7.2FF0E000

First, since no one asked you yet, *please* adjust your mailer to just
send one plain text copy of your mail. That will make your mail more
readable to others, and more likely to be answered.

> I have several apps that use shell schripts.  THese apps are designed =
> for linux.  when i run these scripts with sh i get odd errors such as =
> Syntax error: unexpected ")"  and=20
> function: not found
> Syntax error: unexpected "}".=20

As others have pointed out, you're using the wrong shell. Make sure
you've got the bash2 port installed, and change the first line of all
the scripts from "#!/bin/sh" to "#!/usr/local/bin/bash" so it runs
bash. Also set SHELL in the environment to /usr/local/bin/bash if it
doesn't already have that value.

The other problem looks like the scripts are expecting things that
aren't part of FreeBSD. You might try running them under with the
linux compatabililty software installed, but I doubt that that will
help: linux distros are a varied lot.

I notice you posted the script once, but the digestifier eating MIME
headers makes it hard for me to decipher.

You might be better off asking us what applications exist to do
whatever those scripts do - or whatever the application they are
installing does.

	<mike