Date:      Sun, 23 Jun 2002 07:59:34 -0500
From:      "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@over-yonder.net>
To:        "Geoffrey C. Speicher" <geoff@sea-incorporated.com>
Cc:        Paul Herman <pherman@frenchfries.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, Matt Simerson <freebsd@blockads.com>
Subject:   Re: bug in pw, -STABLE [patch]

On Sun, Jun 23, 2002 at 08:45:58AM -0400 I heard the voice of
Geoffrey C. Speicher, and lo! it spake thus:

> You raise a good point about concurrent pw(8)s with different -V
> parameters, and I would think that the solution would be either to use a
> different pid file for each -V, or to not worry about it for pw(8) and
> have concurrent instances sometimes block briefly when it's not necessary.

I've thought about this a bit.  My gut reaction is lean toward "Oh well,
it'll block sometimes", since I would tend to consider the cases where
you have contention reasonablly rare in practice, and cases where you'd
get a 'pileup' that lasts longer than 2 or 3 processes practically
nonexistent.  On the other hand, I'm not against adding a command-line
option and/or a pw.conf option (since a different pw.conf file will be
loaded with each -V) to pw(8) to specify the lock file location.

I'm currently polishing up the edges of the pid_*() functions; expect a
patch relating to that shortly.  If we can get those 'frozen', as it
were, then I can revisit my pw_auth*() functions and see what among them
will be necessary to keep, to push the use of the file out to pw(8) and
passwd(1) and chpass(1) and pwd_mkdb(8) and vipw(8) and all that jazz.

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd@over-yonder.net