Date:      Sun, 15 Nov 2015 16:04:07 -0553.75
From:      "William A. Mahaffey III" <wam@hiwaay.net>
To:        freebsd-toolchain@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [toolchain] amd64-gcc question

On 11/15/15 13:58, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Nov 2015, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
>> I pkg-installed amd64-gcc over the weekend hoping for Graphite
>> (auto-loop parallelization) support, but no go.
> When you say "amd64-gcc" where did you obtain that from?  As a
> FreeBSD port/package, or somewhere else?

I pkg-installed it originally, but as of last Monday, there was a port
as well, I did a 'portsnap fetch update' (all box-stock ports configs) &
there it was ....

>> just did a 'portsnap fetch upgrade' & there is now a port
>> for amd64-gcc, but it includes no files & no pkg-descr file.
> This is a little weird.  I have packaged GCC 4.6 (lang/gcc46),
> GCC 4.7 (lang/gcc47), GCC 4.8 (lang/gcc48), GCC 4.9 (lang/gcc49),
> GCC 5 (lang/gcc5 and lang/gcc5-devel) and GCC 6 snapshot (lang/gcc6-devel)
> as well as the "canonical" version of GCC (lang/gcc, currently
> GCC 4.8 and in the process of being moved to GCC 4.9).
>
> All of these build and package on amd64, feature pkg-descr, etc.
> And as a FreeBSD user leveraging the official FreeBSD Ports Collection
> is the recommended approach.
>
> None of them would be called amd64-gcc or similar, though.

amd64-gcc-5.2.0
amd64-xtoolchain-gcc-0.1

is what pkg calls them ....

>> I have gotten as far as running 'make showconfig' in the various gcc* &
>> amd64-gcc directories to see what info I could get on default config
>> options. In all cases they gave options & said to run 'make config' to
>> change options. I didn't even see a 'config:' entry in the Makefiles
>> (probably included from elsewhere, but I didn't chase it).
> Let's focus on lang/gcc5-devel, which is the most reasonable version
> to enable Graphite for right now since GCC 5 is the current release
> series and hence most stable, but also advanced, and the -devel port
> is more suitable for making changes like this than the "production"
> variant.
>
> And indeed lang/gcc5-devel/Makefile already had the following lines,
> which is how options handling actually works:
>
>    OPTIONS_DEFINE=         BOOTSTRAP
>    OPTIONS_DEFINE_i386=    JAVA
>    OPTIONS_DEFINE_amd64=   JAVA
>    OPTIONS_DEFAULT=        BOOTSTRAP
>    OPTIONS_DEFAULT_i386=   JAVA
>    OPTIONS_DEFAULT_amd64=  JAVA
>
>> I see no configure files for any of the gcc ports (I have the entire
>> ports tree downloaded & local, & freshly updated as of a few min. ago).
>> What is the canonical/BPP (FreeBSD 9.3R) way of recompiling a port with
>> different config flags ?
>>
>> I did find ports/pkgs for the 2 main components apparently needed for
>> Graphite support (cloog & ppl) & pkg-installed them over the weekend,
>> so I am ready to go on that front.
> If you check out the GCC release notes at
>    https://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-5/changes.html
> you will find that "The Graphite framework for loop optimizations no
> longer requires the CLooG library, only ISL version 0.14 (recommended)
> or 0.12.2."
>
> I just committed changes to lang/gcc6-devel and lang/gcc5-devel to
> add support for Graphite with a new option GRAPHITE.  This is off
> by default, but you can enable it, rebuild the port, and then have
> what you've been looking for.
>
> Gerald

*Excellent*, thanks muchly :-). I'll buy you a beer next time we meet
;-) ....

--

	William A. Mahaffey III

	 ever devised by man."