Date:      Tue, 10 Jul 2001 09:39:25 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        rsi@panix.com
Cc:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>, tlambert@primenet.com, wmoran@iowna.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Mall now BSDCentral

Rajappa Iyer wrote:
> > Well, I'd sorta like to *see* them before writing the coding
> > equivalent of a blank check, but given reasonably functional
> > implementations, sure, I'd be happy to commit your "sysinstall
> > mountpoint auto-discovery" and "release package metadata"
> > enhancements.
>
> One of the nice things I like about FreeBSD (and I daresay I'm not
> alone in this) is that when I install it, I know that I'll get a
> kernel with a corresponding full and functional userland.  I see the
> packaging of this `base system' as a bunch of (meta)packages as the
> thin edge of the wedge---pretty soon FreeBSD will resemble the
> hodge-podge collection of different (often conflicting) packages that
> Linux is.

That would be an option, but it would certianly not be
the default.

I can install a lot of stuff today that I would claim
would put my system in the "hodge-podge" category, most
of them from ports, some of them from the net.

PS: Note that you only get a kernel if you create your
release from the GENERIC config; using a different
config with the "make release" process results in a
CDROM that boots and installs your "/kernel.MYCONFIG",
but doesn't do the final step of copying that file
to "/kernel", which renderes the resulting system
unbootable.

-- Terry