Date:      Tue, 6 Jan 2015 13:29:34 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Ben Woods <woodsb02@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, Lev <leventelist@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Questions from a Linux refugee

On Tue, 6 Jan 2015 20:01:09 +0800, Ben Woods wrote:
> > 3. Package system. I wanted to install scilab. There is (?) no binary
> package
> > for it, and the compilation took ages. After I had it, the next update
> deleted
> > it along with other packages. How to deal with the upgrades?
>
> The port math/scilab depends on the port java/jgraphx. scilab is skipped
> during the package build process because jgraphx cannot be packaged due to
> the need for interactive license confirmation during the build process. The
> can be confirmed against the latest package build here:
> http://beefy2.isc.freebsd.org/build.html?mastername=10amd64-default&build=2014-12-31_03h22m27s

Licensing issue of a dependency. Very "nice". :-)

> As per Coert's message, you can build both java/jgraphx and math/scilab
> manually from ports, or use an automated ports tool such as
> ports-mgmt/portmaster, or setup a package building infrastructure using
> ports-mgmt/poudriere.

You can use portmaster with the -P or -PP switches (to force
the use of binary packages when they are available) to avoid
building all the dependencies from source. You could also issue
the command "make missing" in /usr/ports/math/scilab to find
out what's missing, and then install those with pkg. YOu could
even write a one-liner for that task... :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany