Date:      Wed, 22 Apr 1998 06:38:27 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        sfarrell+lists@farrell.org
Cc:        syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: panic: vm_page_free: freeing busy page

> Well, no, but I got a question: in freebsd current, what prevents the
> kernel from reallocating a process' memory after it calls exit() and
> before it is finished freeing its memory up?  I'm reading in the
> 4.4BSD book p. 155 that they raise the interrupt level, and I
> understand that doesn't work for SMP.  So presumably there is some new
> mechanism for this in current?  (which might be related to this
> crash??)

By definition, all tracked resources, with the exception of the proc
struct, are freed by a process when exit(2) is called.

Specifically, the proc struct is left around so the parent can
"reap" the process using the "wait" family of calls.  The status
is reaped from the proc struct.

Programs do not return from the exit(2) call.

The meory may be reused.  in general, this would be done because
it's perfectly reasonable to reuse the memory, since it was freed.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.