Date:      Sun, 15 Sep 2002 20:52:44 -0700
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sysinstall corrupts disklabel

On 15 Sep 2002 at 8:11, Jack L. Stone boldly uttered:

> At 02:36 AM 9.15.2002 -0700, Philip J. Koenig wrote:

[...]
> >Anyway, I don't have a backup copy of the disklabel, currently the in-
> >memory version just shows a "c" partition, if I try to read it from
> >disk I get "disklabel: bad pack magic number (label is damaged...)"
> >
> >Is there a shortcut to getting this back or do I have to go through
> >the partitions one-by-one and try to figure out all the offsets?
> >(This machine has 6 partitions on it)
> >
> >Funny thing is the system seems to boot OK, df and mount output look
> >normal, etc.  But I can't do anything with the disks like disklabel
> >the new one, etc.

> Although I haven't used this utility that is in the ports, I seen posts on
> it showing successes in this type of partition recovery... perhaps at least
> identifying them. Not sure it does what you want but may be worth a try
> before the manual approach...
> http://www.stud.uni-hannover.de/user/76201/gpart/
>
> LOL...

Well that sounded like a very nice idea, so I installed the port and
tried it.

Even though it says it reads BSD disklabels, it must not extend
beyond the slice level, because all it outputs is the status of the 4
primary slices (Partitions in other-OS-speak. Pretty much what it
claims to do.)

Anyway thanks for the suggestion, maybe some day someone will extend
it to the "BSD partition" level. (partitions being what Linux calls
"filesystems" or what Windows calls "logical drives", etc.)

--
Philip J. Koenig
pjklist@ekahuna.com