Date:      Mon, 15 Sep 1997 22:23:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Paul Dekkers <paul@nev.ml.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IMAP

On Sun, 14 Sep 1997, Paul Dekkers wrote:

> >Oh, the other part of it is make it owned by bin:bin.
> >
> >drwxrwxr-x   2 bin     bin       512 May 20 14:31 mail/
> >
> >This way sendmail et.al. can write stuff in there, but run as someone
> >other than bin, such as a user.  But not just anyone can dump stuff in
> >there.
>
> I tried, but I thought imap wanted to create the lockfiles with the user
> as owner?! At least, when I changed mail's perms to bin.users and
> drwxrwxr-x theproblem disappeared...

Okay, it may depend on who owns imapd.

> >I made that change after the IMAP problem; they had some suggestions for
> >setting up /var/mail perms for best results.
>
> by another way; isn't imap really unsafe? as a normal user I can view the
> root filesystem, even with no shell or ftp account!? (and also when I've
> an account with limited root)

There was a security problem with imap that is fixed in the latest
release.

So what if I can see /?  I'd have a heck of a time if I couldn't.  You
shouldn't put anything important in there anyway.

If I can write to it, that is a bigger problem..

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo