Date:      Wed, 29 Sep 2004 01:44:19 -0400
From:      Forrest Aldrich <forrie@forrie.com>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Status of iSCSI

[ John, *.east.verizon.net is a painful source of spam for me, so it's
blocked here; sorry ]

We've considered the NFS route, too; and it's been a while since I've used it.

I forgot about mount limitations within NFS.

There are some arguments against this scenario (internally) which I will have to
further gather data upon.

Another concern in the design is allocating the accounts in a balanced way across
the various mount points.  Delicate matter - since not every user is going to have
the same email habits.

I'd be curious of performance stats you may have experience with on this
scenario.   We could could also get a NAS-type device that isn't as high-end as
Netapp (Snap Appliance?).

Thanks!
Forrest

(Forrest - Had to post to list too as my mail also bounced back)

Not sure if your budget can handle it, but if I where you....

I would stick with NFS over GigE network. But go with a very robust
hardened NFS soluton, like a NetApp FAS960 Fileserver. Throughput is
very good, SPOF is non-existent, the disk shelves are fiber channel so
you can start with 0.5Tb and scale as high (30Tb) as you want on the
fly (within nfs filesystem mount limits).

A good NetApp system with 1/2 a terabyte will run you around $70,000
(last time I checked). Can be lower through refurb and/or second hand
markets.

There are cheaper alternatives but these are no where near the
performance level of the NetApp units.

-john