Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 2017 11:57:40 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net>
To:        Andrew Gierth <andrew@tao11.riddles.org.uk>
Cc:        Michal Meloun <melounmichal@gmail.com>, Sylvain Garrigues <sylvain@sylvaingarrigues.com>, freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>, mmel@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is CPUTYPE=cortex-A7 supposed to work?
References:  <871suc3nv8.fsf@news-spur.riddles.org.uk> <CANCZdfq4EwH%2B_9FVNai8s6Y-gdTjHJ8dNkJwSrnF%2BSAkdwvYdg@mail.gmail.com> <8737ely05c.fsf@news-spur.riddles.org.uk> <CANCZdfpftVHaPahTOP0vxB-FR%2BKtpqY9JMJr=F2DGifD0fhKMQ@mail.gmail.com> <87wpbxw3yd.fsf@news-spur.riddles.org.uk> <79EBD44B-2C2D-4394-A90C-DF494A049F20@dsl-only.net> <E6BC9F77-F65B-4918-9E22-3BFECA268E30@sylvaingarrigues.com> <674facba-68cd-8ce1-887a-1ef3c51520bc@freebsd.org> <ED8405B6-1150-4A9C-AD93-5C74306FB361@sylvaingarrigues.com> <67504df9-9452-3ad3-b3b0-01d1a03727cc@freebsd.org> <87lgs52kke.fsf@news-spur.riddles.org.uk>

On 2017-Mar-16, at 11:09 AM, Andrew Gierth <andrew at =
tao11.riddles.org.uk> wrote:

>=20
> Michal> Is this enough to confirm that the FPU instructions in a =
signal
> Michal> handler is not used so frequently?
>=20
> Actually what it confirms is that it's rare for applications to use
> signal delivery heavily.

Just a side note in this area:

buildworld buildkernel (e.g., -j 4) makes heavy SIGCHLD signal usage
overall but seems to survive relative to these VFP/NEON issues. I've
not looked into why but may be the processes receiving the signals
make no use of NEON for integer activity (and has no floating point
code?).

> Emacs is a notorious exception to this, since it has used SIGIO since
> time immemorial to have incoming keystrokes interrupt terminal =
redisplay
> (important on slow serial terminals, oh the nostalgia) and it kept the
> same basic design when moving to X, so it now gets SIGIO on X events,
> resulting in hundreds of signal deliveries just from moving the mouse
> past its window. To say that this is not normal application behaviour
> would be a massive understatement.
>=20
> The problem manifests in git clone despite the fact that signal =
delivery
> is infrequent there simply because it spends so much of its time
> executing the vectorized SHA1 block update; again, normal applications
> don't do this kind of thing, and are likely to use the VFP/NEON
> registers too transiently for there to be a significant chance of
> detectable corruption. Even most crypto apps wouldn't often take a
> signal delivery while running crypto code.
>=20
> As an example, I happen to be very familiar with PostgreSQL, which by
> normal standards (as opposed to Emacs standards) is a fairly heavy =
user
> of signals, and I don't think I could come up with a reliable
> demonstration of it being affected by this bug (except maybe by using
> SSL client connections).  What I _would_ expect is that pgsql running =
on
> affected systems would experience a very slow rate of subtle data
> corruption problems, which might or might not ever be noticed.
>=20
> --=20
> Andrew.

=3D=3D=3D