Date:      Thu, 25 Nov 2021 14:19:18 +1030
From:      Daniel O'Connor via freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Poor USB performance on ASUS 520 motherboard (no IRQ?)

> On 24 Nov 2021, at 17:24, Daniel O'Connor <darius@dons.net.au> wrote:
> I've tried updating the BIOS and tested FreeBSD 12 (same as the =
Gigabyte) and FreeBSD 13 with no change.
>=20
> One thing I did notice is this dmesg output:
> xhci0: <XHCI (generic) USB 3.0 controller> mem 0xfcfa0000-0xfcfa7fff =
at device 0.0 on pci1
> xhci0: 32 bytes context size, 64-bit DMAxhci1: <XHCI (generic) USB 3.0 =
controller
> xhci1: <XHCI (generic) USB 3.0 controller> mem 0xfcb00000-0xfcbfffff =
at device 0.3 on pci7
> xhci1: 64 bytes context size, 64-bit DMA
> ..
> xhci2: <XHCI (generic) USB 3.0 controller> mem 0xfca00000-0xfcafffff =
at device 0.4 on pci7
> xhci2: 64 bytes context size, 64-bit DMA

It seems this is a bit of a red herring as vmstat -i does show it =
getting IRQs, not sure why they don't show up in dmesg though. Some =
discussion on IRC suggests it is because the system has no legacy PCI =
IRQs.

However on the system in question the IRQ rate tops out at 1kHz and on =
the other it is 8kHz which I think explains my problem.

I'm going to have a look for BIOS settings today but getting a bit =
desperate for ideas..

--
Daniel O'Connor
are so many of them to choose from."