Date:      Fri, 2 Sep 2005 01:12:14 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Gerald Pfeifer <gerald@pfeifer.com>
To:        Patrick Dung <patrick_dkt@yahoo.com.hk>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Request gcc 34 port build gcj

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005, Patrick Dung wrote:
> Since pdftk itself depends on gcj3.x, I cannot make it to build on
> gcc/gcj 4.0 or 4.1 port.
>
> Please enable the build of gcj on gcc34 port.
> Only allowing gcj to build on gcj41 breaks compatibilty.

I really would prefer not to reenable the (relatively weak) Java
frontend in the lang/gcc34 port for the sake of a single port.

pdftk depending on the version of Java supported by lang/gcc34
and fails to work with the lang/gcc41 Java frontend (which I'll
reenable tomorrow morning) doesn't sound very comforting, and
more indicative of a genuine problem with that software.

And Java is sufficiently huge a frontend, with the library, that
I'd prefer not to burden FreeBSD 4.x users who just need to use
lang/gcc34 to build other ports with it.

What do others think?  (One way to address this would be for me
to relinguish the lang/gcc34 port as maintainer so that someone
else can then make this change.)

Gerald @FreeBSD.org